growing rhamy family

growing rhamy family
love my little family

1.02.2014

BFFs reunited!

Let's rewind to 5th grade art class at Enarson Elementary School.  I will never forget the day when I found out my best friend moved.  It was one of the saddest days I can remember of my childhood.  Paula and I were inseparable when we were younger.  I mean, why wouldn't we be?  We were both dark skinned, brunette, little cuties with mountains of personality and fashion sense.  I have so many fond memories at her house growing up and her at mine.  She had a masking tape balance beem on her living room floor, ate whole wheat pancakes, and was on the swim team in Clarinda.  Her mom drove a tiny green truck with a topper and Paula decided to take me to her swim practice one day.  That is the first day that I had heard of the butterfly and it didn't refer to a pretty flying insect:).  It was in the back of that truck where she tried to teach me the butterfly.  However, I wasn't too successful...turns out I would be a Water Safety Instructor in Highschool..

We were like two peas in a pod.  Boy crazy and all.  And to top it off she had an older brother that was the same age as Nick.  The four of us were the best of friends.  I can't help but think what life would've been like had Paula never left.  Back in those days (yes, I feel so terribly old saying this...), there weren't cell phones or facebook so it was so impossible to find her! 

When her and Irene (her mom) came by on Friday morning, December 27th to visit for the first time since 5th grade I was beyond excited.  I had butterflies of excitement and couldn't wait to try and catch up on almost 18 years of life in one hour (impossible by the way).  She was as beautiful as ever.  It is strange how things work out, because she is doing something that I had always dreamed of doing professionally.  She graduated from the Fashion Institue of Technology in NYC and doing everything in fashion, how awesome!!  Strangely enough that I had designed my own prom dresses and had them made and that is what she is doing...we were always fashionable:).  All I have to say is you go girl, make it happen (and you did!).

It was the strangest feeling because after about 5 minutes of conversation it was literally like we hadn't missed a beat.  She understood things without me having to say them.  When I told her about my highschool experience and the things and feelings I went through, she completely understood why and then I gave her a hard time about not staying with me to be on my team:).  But she then she quickly followed it up with, but I know you, you wouldn't have taken crap from anyone.  And highschool isn't something I talk about often on here or anything extremely personal about myself for that matter.  But it was one of the most difficult times in my life and if it weren't for meeting Jackie I don't know how I would've gotten through it.  I was ready to move and start over before it had even finished.  It forever changed my life.  In some ways it was good, it made a very independent, strong woman who can handle anything that is thrown at her.  I also don't want to hurt anyone the way I was hurt, so I try and give everyone the benefit of the doubt when meeting them.  But in other ways it was bad, like being able to trust people.  I don't let a lot of friends in because I don't want to be hurt, but also if you hurt me once there is no turning back.  We reminisced about where everyone from our class was and what they were doing.  Who has kids, who doesn't.  I can't tell you how great it was to see her.

Seeing Paula again brought back so many feelings and also gave me a sense of relief, because she gets me.  Without saying a word, she just got me....  It was almost as if for the first time in my life I felt ok about what I went through in highschool and I know that if she would have been there she would have been right by my side the entire time, because she is a true friend, and always was, and that's what friends do. 

So Paula, here is to finding the time to catch up on the rest.  I love you girl!




No comments:

Post a Comment